You know the drill. You get to the office, leave your stuff at your desk, grab your coffee cup and head to the coffee machine. Then the conversation begins.
- Hey Charles! How are you?
- Oh, you know, busy usual.
- Hey Laurence! How are you today!
- Not bad, you?
- Good morning, Simon! How are you this morning?
- Uhhh… fine thanks, you?
Woah, woah, woah! How can we dress up these dry pieces of toast? Where’s the jam? Where’s the honey?
There are so many ways to dress up your answer – unless of course, you don’t feel like talking! In that case, let me suggest you not even go to the coffee machine! The coffee machine is THE place to chill and chat with your local office fauna.
Let’s look at some ways you could add some pizazz to keep the conversation going!
Response A. Oh, you know, busy as usual.
- I’m swamped.
- I’m in over my head!
- I’ve got a long going on at the moment.
- I’ve got a few things to handle today!
- Let’s just say I won’t be bored!
Response B. Not bad, you?
- Thanks for asking. Is it just me or is the rain getting to everyone?
- Good question! How are you doing?
- Actually, I have felt better. But hey, how are you?
- You know what? Not that great. Can we talk about it?
- Not too sure, this morning. Tell me joke. It might cheer me up!
Response C. Fine, thank you, and you?
- Great! I was listening to the radio on the way in. You know what I heard?
- Fine! That was a great game last night. Did you see it?
- Terrific! Did you see that sunshine this morning?
- I am so excited. I got some really good news last night.
- I’m doing well. What’s new in your life?
These are just some examples of answers you can use. They’re sure to help you connect better with your co-workers. After all, what’s a workday like without some real conversation?
So, which one will you try out tomorrow morning? Maybe you’ve even got some good answers yourself. What do you like to say?
- Claire :O)
[Photo credit: qvasimodo art/Shutterstock]